Fire tears through Chevy Chase church – NBC4 Washington

Fire tears through Chevy Chase church – NBC4 Washington
Fire tears through Chevy Chase church – NBC4 Washington

A church caught fire in Chevy Chase, Maryland, on Monday afternoon, and DC firefighters assisting in the response were rescued after a roof collapse, authorities said.

The fire damaged The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, on Western Avenue. Chopper4 footage shows smoke pouring out of the building.

Montgomery County and DC firefighters responded at about 12:25 pm

The fire destroyed the roof of the church and crept toward the base of its steeple, putting it at risk of collapse. The flames were so intense that about 100 firefighters were called to the scene.

DC firefighters were trapped after a roof collapse but were rescued and are not injured, Montgomery County Division Chief Charles Bailey said live on News4. No firefighters or civilians were hurt, Bailey said.

In terrifying moments, a few firefighters needed to be rescued.

“Mayday, mayday, mayday! In the gym. Safety rescue squad 1 has been hit,” someone is heard saying on dispatch audio.

DC firefighters were trapped under rubble. Fire officials told everyone was able to get out safely.

Firefighters were evaluated for any injuries, fire department spokesperson Peter Piringer said.

“Mayday was declared as a result of interior collapse but all firefighters accounted for,” the DC fire department said on X.

A fire broke out Monday afternoon at a church in Chevy Chase, Maryland, authorities say.

The fire took hold in the attic and continued to burn, Bailey said.

Chopper4 footage showed thick smoke visible in the DC area from miles away.

Church member Peter Kimball called the fire heartbreaking.

“It’s just devastating to see it destroyed like this,” he said.

A church employee smelled smoke and called 911, the Montgomery County fire department said.

No information was immediately released on what may have started the fire. Investigators have to make sure the building is stable before they can get inside.

Stay with NBC Washington for more details on this developing story.

NEXT Fire caused by improper disposal of woodstove ashes heavily damages NE Bend home; 2 pets survive, dog perishes