Berlin-Brandenburg: Climate activists paralyzed air traffic

Climate activists from the “Last Generation” group had previously gained access to the airport grounds at around 4:00 p.m. and paralyzed flight operations. As of 5.30 p.m., the first flights with delays were reported on the website of Berlin Airport (BER). The Flightradar website also showed that individual planes were circling not far from BER or that planes with earlier departure times were still on the ground. An airport spokesman was unable to provide any information on the number of flights affected.

Initially, the airport had not reported any restrictions on flight operations. According to a spokesman for the airport, the activists were on a taxiway – i.e. an access road for aircraft – quite close to the old Schönefeld Airport, quoted the “Berliner Morgenpost”.

Apparently, the runways had to be temporarily closed in the late afternoon. BER announced this on the short message service Twitter. The situation on the spot has changed in the meantime, the spokesman said. The German federal police confirmed that several people were on the airport site. At around 6:15 p.m. the all-clear was given.

Action streamed live on Twitter

The activists streamed the action live on Twitter. There they could be seen cutting through a fence and entering the airport grounds shortly after 4 p.m. They then held banners up to the camera and explained their motives. Activists were also seen gluing themselves to the ground.

Shortly before entering the airport premises, the police were informed about the project via an emergency call, the climate activists said. About ten minutes after the start of the action, blue lights could be seen in the live stream, and a little later police officers could also be heard.

Climate activists paralyzed air traffic

Berlin Airport had to stop flight operations for a few hours due to an action by climate activists. Activists from the Last Generation group streamed the action live on Twitter. There they could be seen cutting through a fence and entering the airport grounds shortly after 4 p.m. They then held banners up to the camera and explained their motives. Activists were also seen gluing themselves to the ground.

Politicians criticize the procedure: “New escalation”

German Transport Minister Volker Wissing sharply criticized the actions of the activists. The right to demonstrate is a fundamental right, but the actions are becoming “more and more unscrupulous,” said the FDP politician in the evening via a spokeswoman. “Society cannot accept such behavior.” The rule of law must “take decisive action”.

Brandenburg’s Interior Minister Michael Stübgen said that the action could not be justified by anything. “I stand by it: anyone who intentionally puts others at risk for their worldview is not an activist, but a criminal,” said the CDU politician. CSU regional group leader Alexander Dobrindt spoke of a “new escalation”. “By penetrating the security area and occupying the runway, they are not only putting themselves in serious danger, but also hundreds of passengers in the air and on the ground, and are also causing considerable economic damage. This is absolutely unacceptable and requires a tough response from the rule of law.”

Glued to the conductor’s desk in the Elbphilharmonie

Most recently, activists of the “last generation” glued themselves to a conductor’s desk in the German Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg shortly before the start of a concert on Wednesday evening. In a video that the group shared on Twitter, a woman and a man can be seen, each wearing a safety vest, standing at the lectern on stage and speaking to the audience. The activists once again called for resistance to what they saw as the government’s indecisive climate policy.

Searches after attack in Dresden

Around three months after the attack by climate activists in the Old Masters Picture Gallery in Dresden in Germany, there were also searches in Leipzig on Thursday. The aim of the operation, in which more than 60 officers from the German State Criminal Police Office, the police and the riot police took part, was to find evidence, as the public prosecutor’s office in Dresden and the State Criminal Police Office in Saxony announced.

The background is investigations against a 22-year-old woman and two men aged 22 and 29 on suspicion of damaging property. The accused and one of the men are said to have glued their hands to the frame of the painting “Sistine Madonna” with superglue on August 23. The 22-year-old is said to have given the two a banner with the inscription “Last generation” in their free hands, he also filmed the action and distributed it on social networks. The damage caused by the action is estimated at around 4,000 euros.

Reuters/Stop Fossil Fuel Subsidies

Activists taped themselves to images all over the world – mostly they were not damaged

In recent weeks, climate activists have caused a stir across Europe with various actions. They blocked roads and attacked paintings by Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet and Francisco Goya, among others. In Milan, four members of the “Last Generation” group recently scattered eight kilograms of flour on a car designed by pop artist Andy Warhol. At the Warhol exhibition, they then taped their hands to the ground next to the vehicle. With their actions, the activists want to demand a stronger commitment against global warming.

Tags: #BerlinBrandenburg Climate activists #paralyzed air traffic

PREV Munich: The actress Lucy Wilke – Munich
NEXT Electricity price brake – you really save that much – economy